By Josh Redd, DC on September 28, 2016
People used to think worrying about cell phone safety was conspiracy theory or quack science. That's not the case anymore based on new recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
The AAP now advises caregivers limit children's cell phone after a large government study linked cancer with cell phone radiation.
The study found exposure to radiation from cell phones and tablets significantly increases the rates of extremely malignant cancer of the heart and brain in rodents.
In other words, cell phones give research animals cancer.
This disturbing news is made even more disturbing by the fact that the affected cells in the research animals are the same ones that become cancerous in adult humans who use cell phones.
These alarming results prompted the AAP to recommend limiting children’s exposure to cell phones, tablets, and other wireless devices.
The study also showed cell phone radiation damages brain cell DNA, so be especially careful not to let children hold a cell phone to their head.
Children more susceptible to risk of cancer from cell phones
The cell phone cancer risk is believed to be higher for children than adults.
This is because children have thinner skulls so that radiation can more easily penetrate and absorb into a child's brain. A child’s nervous systems is not fully developed and thus more sensitive to radiation damage.
The AAP warns adults not to carry a cell phone on or near your body and to limit or prohibit a child’s exposure.
Ways to reduce cell phone cancer risk in adults and children
It's hard to imagine life today without a cell phone, even with the formidable risks.
The AAP lists the following suggestions to reduce cell phone cancer risk in adults and children:
- Text message as much as possible. For calls, put your phone on speaker or use a hands-free kit.
- If you must put the phone to your head, hold it at least an inch away.
- Keep your calls as short as possible.
- You can absorb an unsafe amount of radiation carrying the phone on your body. Carry your phone in a purse, backpack, or briefcase.
- If you're going to watch a movie on your phone or tablet, download it first and then switch the phone to airplane mode. This helps avoid excess radiation exposure.
- The weaker the cell signal (number of bars) the more radiation your phone emits because it has to work harder. Ideally, wait until you have a stronger signal before use.
- The phone also has to work harder and thus emits more radiation when receiving a signal through metal, such as in cars, elevators, trains, and buses. Avoid use in those settings.
- Do not let a child use a cell phone for teething or as a toy.
Cell phone cancer risks gaining more acceptance
It's good news cell phone cancer risks are now being legitimized
thanks to new research, as this increases awareness and may prevent cancer in some children and adults.
For more advice about general cancer prevention nutrition and lifestyle functional medicine approaches, contact my office.
About Dr. Josh Redd, Chiropractic Physician — Utah, Arizona, New Mexico functional medicine
Dr. Joshua J. Redd, DC, MS, DABFM, DAAIM, author of The Truth About Low Thyroid: Stories of Hope and Healing for Those Suffering With Hashimoto's Low Thyroid Disease
, is a chiropractic physician and the founder of RedRiver Health and Wellness Center
with practices in Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. He sees patients from around the world who suffer from challenging thyroid disorders, Hashimoto's disease, and other autoimmune conditions. In addition to his chiropractic degree, Dr. Redd has a BS in Health and Wellness, a BS in Anatomy, and a MS in Human Nutrition and Functional Medicine. He speaks across the nation, teaching physicians about functional blood chemistry, low thyroid, Hashimoto's, and autoimmunity. You can join his Facebook page here